Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a copy of my discharge papers, service records, or medical records?
A. If you do not have a copy of your discharge papers, service records, or medical records you can obtain them by filling out a Standard Form 180 - Request Pertaining to Military Records. You can download a copy from this site or obtain a copy from your local State Division of Veterans' Affairs office or the United States Department of Veterans' Affairs.Download Standard Form 180 - Request Pertaining to Military Records

Back to Top

My pension/disability check hasn't arrived yet. Can you verify when it was mailed?
No, the Tulsa Mayor's Office does not dispense benefits from this office. If you need to inquire about when your pension or disability check was mailed you may contact the United States Department of Veterans Affairs at:

Muskogee Regional Office
125 South Main Street
Muskogee, OK 74401
Phone: (800) 827-1000
Fax: (918) 781-7509

Back to Top

[back to top]

I was born overseas while my mom/dad was in the military. How can I get a copy of my birth certificate?
You may call (202) 955-0307, or write:

Department of State
Vital Records Section
Suite 510
1111 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20522

Back to Top

How can I obtain contact information of a buddy from an old unit?
The Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits releasing the last known address of former service members without their written consent. However, the agency identified below will assist your search by forwarding your letter to the service member's last know address. Instead, to pursue locating a former service member:

  • Write a letter to the service member. Place this letter in a sealed and stamped envelope, including your full name and return address.

  • Write a letter addressed to the National Personnel Records Center requesting their assistance with your search. Be sure to include the service member's name, serial number and/or social security number, and date of birth if available.

  • Place your envelope addressed to the service member AND the letter to the National Personnel Records Center in ONE envelope.

    Address this envelope to:
    National Personnel Records Center
    9700 Page Blvd.
    St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5200

Please note: current addresses for discharged service members are not maintained at the Records Center. This center only has the service member's last officially recorded address. Letters to service members the Record Center cannot identify, or who are deceased, will be returned to you.

Back to Top

How can I provide military funeral honors for a veteran who has recently died?
Military Funeral Honors have always been provided whenever possible. However, the law now mandates the rendering of Military Funeral Honors for an eligible veteran if requested by the family. As provided by law, an Honor Guard detail for the burial of an eligible veteran shall consist of not less than two members of the Armed Forces. One member of the detail shall be a representative of the parent service of the deceased veteran. The honor detail will, at a minimum, perform a ceremony that includes the folding and presenting of the American flag to the next of kin and the playing of Taps. The veteran's parent Service Representative will present the flag. Taps will be played by a bugler, if available, or by electronic recording. Today, there are so few buglers available that the Military Services often cannot provide one. For more information, please visit

Back to Top

Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors?
The following are eligible for Military Funeral Honors:

  • Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.

  • A former military member who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.

  • Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.

  • Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

Back to Top

What can the family of an eligible veteran expect?
The core elements of the funeral honors ceremony, which will be conducted, are:

- Flag folding

- Flag presentation

- Playing of Taps

Back to Top

I am a returning OEF/OIF veteran. How do I apply for benefits?
Returning veterans of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom should register for benefits with the US Department of Veterans Affairs immediately upon return.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has appointed special points of contact for Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom veterans to assist you in your transition to the Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center.  Please contact:

Nanette Waller
OIF/OEF Program Manager
Phone: (918) 577-4150
Fax: (918) 577-3701

Annette Lee
OIF/OEF Administrative Specialist
Phone: (918) 577-4151

Fax: (918) 577-3742 
Back to Top

Are VA educational benefits taxable?
No, veteran's benefits, paid under any law and administered by the VA should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Back to Top

Where can I obtain information on Agent Orange?
Information on Agent Orange can be found online.
Back to Top

On June 29, 2006, the US Department of Veterans Affairs announced the recovery of the laptop containing sensitive electronic data that was stolen from the home of a VA employee in early May. What is the latest update on this?

For information on this very important matter:Read Secretary Nicholson's announcementVisit the Federal Trade Commission's site to learn how to protect yourself from identity theftRead VA Inspector General's July 11, 2006 Review - in pdf

Back to Top