twitter icon youtube icon instagram icon

Businesses Closed under Civil Emergency

Read the Updated Executive Order - March 28  | (FAQs listed below)

Effective March 28 at 11:59 p.m., Mayor Bynum signed an executive order requiring shelter-in-place protocols for Tulsa. It applies to all residents, regardless of age and/or medical history. The order is effective through April 16. 

Furthermore, the order specifically limits restaurants to curbside, drive-thru, takeout and delivery services.  It is up to the restaurant or business owner’s discretion on how they operate those services, but they should follow CDC guidelines for best practices. 

  1. Restaurants, food courts, cafes, coffeehouses, and other places of public accommodation offering food and beverage are closed for dine-in customers and guests and for on-premises consumption, are restricted and limited to curbside, drive-thru, takeout and delivery services, excluding institutional or in-house food cafeterias that serve residents, employees, and clients of businesses, child care facilities, hospitals, and long-term care facilities.
  2. The following commercial establishments and places of public accommodation shall be and are hereby closed to ingress, egress, use, and occupancy by members of the public:
    1. Bars, taverns, brew pubs, breweries, microbreweries, distilleries, wineries, tasting rooms, clubs, and other places of public accommodation offering alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption.
    2. Hookah bars, cigar bars, and vaping lounges offering their products for on premises consumption.
    3. Theaters, cinemas, indoor and outdoor performance venues, and museums.
    4. Gymnasiums, fitness centers, recreation centers, indoor sports facilities, indoor exercise facilities, exercise studios, and spas.
    5. Amusement parks, arcades, bingo halls, bowling alleys, indoor climbing facilities, skating rinks, trampoline parks, and other similar recreational or entertainment facilities.

Frequently Asked Questions | Espanol

What should be closed?
All bars in Tulsa are to be closed indefinitely.

All restaurants, food courts and food trucks may provide carry out, drive-thru and delivery service only.  Dine-in service will be prohibited indefinitely. All theaters, gyms, and recreation and entertainment facilities are to be closed indefinitely.   

What is open?
You can still go shopping at grocery stores, malls, markets, convenience stores, pharmacies, drug stores, food pantries, hardware stores and retail stores. All of those stores are allowed to remain open. If any of those stores have a food court area in them, that food court should be closed. Additionally, health care facilities, such as hospitals, are open.

How can a business get curbside pick-up parking?
Businesses using delivery and pick-up options will be able to utilize a curbside pick-up parking space in front of their restaurant and the City will waive the fee so we can institute temporary pick-up location for restaurants. Businesses must fill out the necessary paperwork for parking approval. Businesses should leave room for emergency vehicles, especially in front of fire hydrants. Fill out the paperwork here: Curbside Pickup Parking Form

How long do businesses need to close?
Indefinitely. Businesses who are being asked to close need to remain closed until told otherwise. The decision to allow businesses to open back up is contingent upon CDC best practices and THD guidelines.

Who should you contact if you learn of a business in possible violation of this order?
If you notice a business, venue, etc. who you believe who is in violation of this executive order asking businesses to close, contact the Tulsa Police non-emergency number at (918) 596-9222.

What other kinds of businesses need to close?
Sports facilities (both indoor and outdoor), skating rinks, trampoline parks, bowling alleys, indoor climbing facilities, and amusement parks. These types of businesses are being asked to close indefinitely.

NEW: Can churches continue to hold services?
Faith-based services that are provided through streaming or other technology have been declared an essential business by Governor Stitt and may continue to hold services in that format. Essential businesses should practice physical distancing to the greatest extent feasible. 

Do liquor stores need to close?

Can blood drives (ARC, OBI) continue?
Yes. Due to the large number of cancellations, there is a nationwide shortage of blood supply. The City is not considering blood drives public gatherings. Healthy Tulsans are encouraged to donate blood. 

Do retail stores need to close?
No. Unless your establishment has fixed seating and other areas designed for people to congregate, you can remain open.

Do places of worship need to close?
Worship organizations are tasked to do what is best for their congregation. The City defers to the recommendations provided by the CDC. 

Are catered events allowed?
No. The goal is to prevent group activities that facilitate rapid virus transmission. 

Are casinos being asked to close?
The City does not have jurisdiction to regulate casinos, though many local tribes have closed operations. Check with the casino if you have questions.

What should breweries, micro-breweries, and taprooms do?
Breweries and taprooms who serve beer as carry out can operate as usual. Tasting rooms and other fixed seating areas must close indefinitely. 

Do movie theaters need to close?
Yes. All movie theaters should be closed indefinitely. 

When does my business need to close?
Your businesses should have been closed by March 18 and remain closed until further notice. 

My bar/club is a private, member only establishment. Do I need to close?

Do performance centers need to close?

Are museums open?

Do gyms need to close?
Yes. Gyms and fitness centers are required to close in accordance with the Mayor’s Executive Order declaring a civil emergency. If a personal trainer is seeing clients by appointment only, they may continue to operate only within that limited scope and should follow CDC guidance for disinfection. 

Do hair salons and nail salons need to close?
Yes. All personal touch businesses need to be closed. 

Can bars still serve food?
Bars with dine-in options who operate food services may offer a drive-thru, curbside pickup and take out delivery. The bar itself should not be open to the public.

Are employees who work at closed businesses still allowed to work there?
Yes. The order is meant to limit the amount of customers who congregate inside commercial establishments. Employees are allowed to stay and work. The executive order does not prohibit an employee, contractor, vendor or supplier of a place of public accommodation from entering, exiting, using or occupying that place in their professional capacity.

Can I order take-out food inside a restaurant?
Yes. Businesses who are closed may take your order over the phone, online or in-person. The executive order only applies to those wanting to dine in. All dine-in services will not be available.

I can't pay my bills. Am I going to get evicted?
Currently, evictions are suspended in Tulsa County. If you receive an eviction or foreclosure notice, do not move out until told to do so by a court or law enforcement official. With all civil hearings suspended, you cannot be forced from your home by an eviction or foreclosure until April 15 at the earliest. 

Where can I get legal assistance?
Residents can get legal assistance by calling 2-1-1 or by submitting their information to OKLegalConnect. Additionally, mothers who live in north Tulsa can reach out to Still She Rises Tulsa, an organization who offers help to mothers in the legal system. 

Can a landlord still file an eviction?
Yes. A landlord can still file an eviction, but no Tulsa County resident can be forced out of their place of residence until April 15 at the earliest.