The Tulsa Park and Recreation Department has a history dating back nearly 100 years. It first came into being on August 18, 1909, when the City of Tulsa bought Owen Park from Chauncey and Mary Owen for $13,500. Tulsa's first park superintendent, John Meisenbacher, later moved into a house located in the park. Park board meetings were held in a room above his garage. After planting 600 roses in an effort to "spruce-up" the property, Tulsa's first city park officially opened on June 8, 1910.
Today, Tulsa Parks consists of over 130 parks, Community Centers, sports facilities, Specialty Programs - and many more.
The Tulsa Parks main office is located at:
175 East Second Street, Suite 570
Tulsa, OK 74103-3216
For more information, please call us at (918) 596-7275.